RoHS Product Mark general and specific guidelines
The UL RoHS product certification means that products comply with UL's RoHS product certification program requirements. Representative samples of products are tested at the homogeneous materials level for the presence of six substances restricted by the EU RoHS Directive. The six substances must not exceed the limits set by the RoHS Directive.
To be eligible to use the UL RoHS Product Mark in advertising or promotion, the product must also appear in UL iQTM for Restricted Substances database.
All references to UL RoHS product certification are to include the full UL RoHS Product Mark with database URL and file number.
- Any references to UL in promotional materials must be complete and accurate.
- The UL Mark should never appear more prominently in any advertising or packaging than the name of the company manufacturing or selling the product.
- Products certified by other organizations, tested to UL requirements, cannot bear any UL Mark on or in connection with these products or their advertising.
- Do not use any UL RoHS Product Mark or reference UL RoHS product certification on company stationery, business cards or signs. Use of these references on such materials could incorrectly imply more than a third-party relationship between the company and UL, or incorrectly imply that all products you manufacture comply with the UL's RoHS product certification program requirements.
- No claims should be made that the company itself has been certified by UL as RoHS compliant.
- If the UL RoHS Product Mark is used on your web site, ensure that visitors to your web site are able to clearly identify which products comply with the UL's RoHS product certification program requirements.
- References to UL can be made only once you are authorized by UL to use UL's RoHS Product Mark.
- No degree of acceptability, level of safety or protection should be implied in promotional materials.
- If no longer eligible to use the UL RoHS Product Mark for any reason, all material that refers to this Mark should be immediately removed from distribution, and further use of any UL Marks should be discontinued.
- If some products appearing in a web site, brochure, ad or catalog are covered by the UL RoHS Product Mark but others are not, ensure the wording and placement of UL references make it clear which products are in fact covered and which are not. Do not use the UL RoHS Product Mark in general advertising or promotional material to suggest that products that have not been evaluated are covered by UL's program.
- The UL symbol and any words used to describe participation the UL RoHS product program must be large enough to be clearly recognized and read by customers.
- To display the UL RoHS Product Mark on promotional materials, use the Mark in black on a light background or white on a dark background. If color is used, the checkmark appears in PMS 361; all other elements of the mark are 100 percent black.
- Do not try to reproduce the UL RoHS Product Mark. Only use an authorized UL RoHS Product Mark, which can be downloaded from the UL Web site.
References to the UL GS Mark
|Sample correct references||Incorrect references|
|"This product is RoHS Certified by UL. Representative samples of products have been evaluated by UL at the homogeneous materials level and did not exceed the content requirements defined by the EU RoHS Directive."||"UL Approved for RoHS"|
|"Certified by UL as meeting the limits defined by the EU RoHS Directive. See rscs for more information on this product."||"UL RoHS tested"|
Enhanced UL Certification Marks
The enhanced UL Certification Mark now bundles multiple Certifications into a single Mark; utilizes a unique identifier for easier access to information at www.ul.com/database; communicates geographic scope of certification through country codes; and describes the attributes that UL has Certified about a product.Learn More