Backed by more than 100 years of UL expertise in evaluating roofing materials and systems, the UL Mark is the most widely recognized and required certification mark in the industry. UL works with the roofing industry to develop standards that improve performance of roofing materials and systems for fire safety and/or property protection. From fire-resistance testing to emerging environmental requirements, UL provides the roofing materials and systems industry with a single source for all testing and certification.
As part of the UL certification process, ongoing unannounced product inspections take place at manufacturers' facilities to maintain quality and integrity. UL's follow-up service is a key reason why products that bear the UL Mark element are more readily accepted.
Full range of testing and certification services offered
UL provides a full range of services for the testing and certification of roofing materials and systems, including fire resistance, impact resistance, wind uplift resistance and material performance. UL's services are available for both commercial and residential roof materials and systems.
Upon earning UL certification, manufacturers' products are listed in the UL product directory, which is referenced by more than 2,500 authorities having jurisdiction (AHJs) and code officials each year.
UL also offers ENERGY STAR testing for roofing materials and systems--an increasingly valuable service as more and more state and local municipalities require roofing materials and systems to meet ENERGY STAR and similar requirements.
UL is an accredited test laboratory for the Cool Roof Rating Council (CRRC), an independent organization that develops methods for evaluating and labeling the solar reflectance and thermal emittance of roofing products.
By partnering with UL, manufacturers can complete all their testing and certification needs with a widely recognized, independent organization that regulators trust and rely upon.
UL tests roofing materials and systems to the following standards:
- UL 790 (Exterior Exposure), Standard Test Methods for Fire Tests of Roof Coverings
- CAN/ULC-S107-03 (UL 790), Methods of Fire Tests of Roof Coverings
- UL 1256 (Interior Exposure), Fire Test of Roof Deck Constructions
- CAN/ULC-S126 -M86 (UL 1256), Standard Method of Test for Fire Spread Under Roof - Deck Assemblies
- UL 997, Wind Resistance of Prepared Roof Covering Materials
- ASTM D3161, Standard Test Method for Wind Resistance of Asphalt Shingles (Fan - Induced Method)
- UL 2390, Test Method for Wind Resistant Asphalt Shingles with Sealed Tabs
- ASTM D7158, Standard Test Method for Wind Resistance of Sealed Asphalt Shingles (Uplift Force/Uplift Resistance Method)
- UL 580, Tests for Uplift Resistance of Roof Assemblies
- UL 1897, Uplift Tests for Roof Covering Systems
- UL 2218, Impact Resistance of Prepared Roof Covering Materials
- UL 55A, Materials for Built-Up Roof Coverings
- ASTM D3462, Standard Specification for Asphalt Shingles Made from Glass Felt and Surfaced with Mineral Granules
- CAN/CSA-A123.5, Asphalt Shingles Made from Glass Felt and Surfaced with Mineral Granules
Thermal radiative properties (for compliance with ENERGY STAR and CRRC requirements)
- ASTM C1371, Standard Test Method for Determination of Emittance of Materials Near Room Temperature Using Portable Emissometers
- ASTM C1549, Standard Test Method for Determination of Solar Reflectance Near Ambient Temperature Using a Portable Solar Reflectometer