Development of safety requirements for E85 dispensers and components
UL offers a new certification path for fuel dispensers for mid-level ethanol blends up to E25. With the certification path, manufacturers of dispensers, assemblies and components have three certification options to choose from to balance market needs and provide maximum flexibility as advances are made in the fuel industry.
The new certification path relates to Subject 87A-E25, which addresses gasoline and mid-level ethanol fuel blends up to E25. The updated safety requirements address material compatibility issues for high alcohol concentrated fuels (greater than 10% alcohol blends).
The three certification paths for dispensers of pre-blended fuels are:
- UL 87 for gasoline and ethanol fuel blends up to E10
- The established requirements of Subject 87A-E85, which address gasoline and ethanol fuel blends up to E85
- The new certification path in Subject 87A-E25, which addresses gasoline and mid-level ethanol fuel blends up to E25
UL has been active in the discussion around the safe distribution and dispensing of alternative fuels including conducting research, developing standards and performing tests while working closely with dispenser manufacturers, manufacturers of dispenser assemblies and components, and governmental stakeholders.
Previously UL had two certification paths for gasoline and ethanol fuel dispensing units: UL87 for blends up to E10 and Subject 87A for blends up to E85. UL first announced Subject 87A covering E85 dispensers in October of 2007. The additional level to Subject 87A for E25 will help assure that mid-level pre-blended fuels, if adopted, can be dispensed safely.
- View Fuel Dispenser update 2010
- UL announces new certification path for ethanol fuel dispensers
- Joint UL/DOE Legacy System Certification Clarification
- E85 -- storage tanks and pipes FAQ
- E85 research report -- December 2007
- Additional information for authorities having jurisdiction, including FAQ
For more details, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.