UL offers several repackaging solutions depending on the type of product being repackaged, the scope of the repackaging process or individual client certification needs. The following information is needed in order to generate a quote:
- The name or basic product category and file number of the product(s) to be repackaged. (Note: If the requested category is not already covered in the Basic Category Matrix a sample of the packaging artwork will also be needed.)
- A description of the repackaging activity including any additional processes that may be performed (some additional processing may fall outside the scope of the Program.)
- The complete name and address of the facility where repackaging will take place.
- The complete names and addresses of the Applicant (The company or individual who applies to UL for the certification of a component, product or system) and Listee (The company or individual whose name is used on, or in conjunction with, a product and appears under a product category in one of UL's Product Directories and in a searchable, online database at UL's Intranet and Internet websites).
- The need for any Complementary Listing or Classification.
Based on the information provided, the scope and type of repackaging will be determined and a quote will be generated. The following types of repackaging service are available:
- Type 1 Repackaging
- Type 2 Repackaging
- Complementary Listing or Classification
Type 1 Repackaging
Type 1 Repackaging is offered to existing UL subscribers who repackage products in a product category, which is already being manufactured at the same factory. This is typically done to fill out production or complete a product line. Type 1 Repackaging assumes that both the manufacturer and UL's local Representative have experience in the product category and will require no special instructions to judge the acceptability of the package markings. Since Type 1 Repackagers already appear in UL's Product Directory for the category being repackaged, a separate Repackaging Listing, Classification, or Recognition Guide Information Page is not issued for Type 1 Repackaging.
Type 2 Repackaging
Type 2 Repackaging is offered to a UL subscriber who repackages products different from those product categories already authorized at his factories, or a UL subscriber who repackages products in an already authorized product category that he has no experience with. For example a manufacturer already authorized to produce general grade receptacles who wishes to repackage hospital grade receptacles will be offered Type 2 repackaging. A repackaging facility where no manufacturing of UL products occurs would also be covered under Type 2 repackaging. In these cases, neither the manufacturer nor the UL Field Representative can be assumed to be familiar with the requirements of the product category being repackaged.
Type 2 Repackagers are issued a single Procedure covering all of the core product categories already approved under the specific Repackaging product category. Type 2 Repackagers appear in UL's Certification Directory under the appropriate Repackaged Product Program category.
Complementary Listing or Classification
Complementary Listing or Classification enables a Repackager to appear under both the basic and Repackaged product categories in UL's Certification Directory for the same file.
For more information, please contact us at Appliancequote@us.ul.com.